Friday, July 7, 2017

A Sort of Homecoming

Hi, ni hao! This may be my last post from China because all we're really going to do tomorrow is drive to Guangzhou  and maybe buy some more souvenirs. Then we'll spend another night at ANOTHER hotel and then it's off to the airport to fly home. Today we went to my orphanage!

We bought some little toys last night to give to the kids. I finally got to meet one of my nannies! Mrs. Deng was really nice and we kind of (kind of) got to talk to each other. Our guide translated what I said to her in Chinese. She says that I am tall and pretty and that she remembered me when I was a baby. (I still can't believe that everyone in China says that I'm tall for my age and in America I'm considered really really short!) She asked me if I remembered her as a baby. Well, in my defense, I was only one.

Anyway, when we got to give out toys and lollipops to the  kids, they seemed really happy. They were all very eager to start playing with their new toys. There were two kids that were still there from when I was. After giving out stuff, we took a little walk around the streets. People were selling almost everything you could think of, from live doves to chickens. I don't think that the doves and chickens were for pets sadly. But we got to try some new fruits that I had never seen or even heard of. Dragon eye fruit was a new experience, it was pretty good!

They welcomed us with jasmine tea, dragon eye fruit and bananas. Everything was tasty. It's their custom to always welcome people with tea and some kind of food. At lunch, my nanny was always filling my plate with the rice and noodles I love. She also showed me how to master my chopsticks! Lunch was good, even if I couldn't try some things due to my shellfish allergy. We also visited the place where I was found. Unfortunately, the building that was originally there was replaced by a Honda dealership. I was more curious than emotional. Where was the exact place I was found? How long ago was it? My mind was slightly focused on something else though. I had lost my wiggly tooth about five minutes ago. I had to hold a napkin



there to staunch the bleeding.

Today was quite a bit more interesting than just looking around a city and lazily lying around in the hotel. I finally got to see my nanny and learn exactly where they found me. I'll blog when we get back to the U.S.A. Talk to you when we get back home! Bye!

No comments: