Thursday, March 27, 2008

I Have Never Worked This Hard to Impress a Girl in All My Life!



These have been hands down the hardest 3 days of my life. To have these grand visions of sweeping in and taking this baby away from an orphanage life to one of love and comparatively speaking, privilege, then have her struggle through the process is heart-wrenching. But every day she has blossomed just a little bit more, and now she seems to be coming to terms with the idea of being a member of our family. She has started feeding herself a little and can walk entirely by herself! If you ask her where her Mama she will either look at or point to Lori, and she even acknowledges who her Baba(Chinese for Daddy) is by pointing to me. Today for the first time she reached out and took my hand without prompting, and even reached to touch my beard. She still turns her head if I try and kiss her, but I will take what I can get.

Today we visited the Baiyun Garden. It is very beautiful, but I think the Chinese feel like they need to be more like the west, so they have decorated this wonderful place with all sorts of tacky cartoon character figures. It is sad that this is our influence on the world. Lots of Chinese people fawn over Audrey and the other babies in our group, but there is also a large number of people who look at you like "who the hell do you think you are to come here and take our babies away?" I think this is more shame at their fellow people than resentment towards us, but it doesn't make it any less painful to witness. The people who do show kindness more than make up for the others though, I have to make sure and have my sunglasses on when I see them coming because every time it makes me cry. Usually it is either the elderly or the younger generations who react this way to us. I expect as much from the young people who have been raised to want to be like the U.S., but it is the older ones that always touch my heart, because they were raised to either hate us, or at the very least, distrust us. To see the kindness in their eyes is really amazing, we might not be able to talk to them, but a smile is a smile in every language.

By the way, someone already likes Twizzlers like her Mama!

7 comments:

Kristen said...

Crystal told me to come check out the new pictures - what a precious girl! You don't know me, but I am so happy for you! And hang in there, Dad - when we got our little girl (domestic adoption, not international...), she was not so sure about her daddy, either. But now, he is her favorite toy! Little girls always love their daddies.

mrs nita said...

Brad and Lori
What a beautiful little girl. And such a wonderful tribute to our Granny Copeland. She would have been so proud to have her named after her and that you got to adopt her. She was so happy for us when we got our children. She would always tell the story of Jonathan eating his first fried pie that she made for him. You are truely blessed and so is little Audrey. WE are proud for you and can't wait until you bring her to Broken Bow. Love,
Nita and David McGowen

Meredith said...

Audrey is such a doll!! I love the pictures! We are so excited for you and we can't wait to meet Audrey. We hope you have a safe trip and we're looking forward to seeing more pictures. :)
Love,
Meredith, Drew & Madeline

Anonymous said...

Great post Brad - you made me cry! When we adopted Livvie in 03, she wanted NOTHING with Jim my husband but on the fourth day, I guess she figured he wasn't going anywhere and started warming up to him. NOW, she IDOLIZES him....your time for that will come soon...don't despair.
Carmen
NEXT in line for referral!

kyle and paula said...

B,L,and little A-
the twizzler stole our heart, looks like a little Lori already, Brad you are one great daddy and Audrey are in the best of hands little precious one. We are looking so forward to getting to play with her, but we are also excited you have the time to bond with just the three of you. It is definitely the hardest job you'll ever have but for sure one you will always love and never trade for anything in the world. We love you guys. K,P,and little K&J

Crystal said...

She is totally just like her new Papa, she doesn't impress easy! She's very deep... :)

Im telling you, she'll be yours forever if you work Elmo into the picture!

I cant wait to read more. You all are so cute together!

Love,
Crystal

annie anderson said...

Mom Dad & Audrey,
We have enjoyed your stories about Audreys country. It was so nice to see Audrey smiling & walking. Every day she will learn, and this will truly amaze you. You are a family now, made by God...We are so happy for you'll. Annie & Terry