Thursday, April 3, 2008

All Systems Are Go!



Today we had our doctor's appointment to check everything out before we go to the U.S. consulate. While it was by no means a thorough examination it was confirmation of what we already knew, that Audrey is a healthy baby. Everything checked out well, and she has already gained 2 pounds since we first got her. All of the other children were crying and carrying on, but Audrey took it like a champ no tears at all. We think this might mean that she has a future in the medical field.

After the exam, we ventured out into Guangzhou without the group for the first time. We went to an antiques market and art district. It was somewhat difficult because pretty much no one spoke any english, but we had a blast. It was really neat to be in a place where we were the only American faces. The art was beautiful and incredibly cheap, and for the most part people were friendly. We also made our first visit to McDonalds. It was neat to see the familiarity of the golden arches but with an Asian flavor. Audrey had her first taste of a hot fudge sundae and loved it, but then again she has loved everything that she has tried. Even though it was a long day with very little time for a nap, Audrey was  a champ. Barely fussy and seemed to enjoy the adventure.

We can now hear the clock ticking towards the end of our time in China and we will be sad to leave even though we can't wait to get home and see everyone. While I was sad to burn this much time away from work and not be diving somewhere, this is definitely a place that we will return to. We will try to pack in as much as we can in our final week, and of course take you with us through the blog.

12 comments:

nataliek said...

Audrey,

You are a beautiful young lady--we knew you were healthy also. We love reading about your adventures everyday and can't wait to show you around OKC. We'll have to try the ice cream sundaes at Kaiser's--I'm a fan of the strawberry milkshakes. Since your dad already has plans for you to be a doctor, I'm calling my friends at Vanderbilt Med School--it's never too early to fill out those admission forms!

Brad said...

Auntie Natalie must have been a good girl this year because her wish was granted. We will call and give you all the details later.

nataliek said...

Thank you!

Unknown said...

Brad & Lori,
I think she has that look on her little face "Hey Mama & Pop's how about a bite of that Big Mac"......
Jeff

Anonymous said...

I think Audrey is practicing her "I'm bored at wild wings trivia", face. I have seen it many a time on others. It can only be cured with ice cream! I can't wait so see this face in person!

Andie

Anonymous said...

This face reminds me of the face I've seen so many times in my own children. "I know more than I'm letting on and you guys are boring me with all this baby talk..."
I'm thinking you will need about another month off just to tell us of all your adventures. Can't wait to hear about it in person. You fill our thoughts and prayers.
Love to all, Aunt Lisa

Anonymous said...

Bring this pretty baby home!
(and possibly a small art piece as well?) Granny and Pops came up to Stillwater today and took me to Braums- I got a chocolate sundae too! They also showed me the pictures that yall had mailed them- very cool. Stay safe and take LOTS of pictures :)
Big Cuz Taylor

Kathy said...

Lori and Brad,
You look so natural holding Audrey at Mcdonalds. Brad, before you know it, you and Audrey will be making daily trips to McD's. for Happy Meals.
But hey, Natalie, what's up with the pearl orders???? Why wasn't I informed about these pearls and gems???? I want in on this!!! Just kidding. Hearing about Audrey's good health makes me just as happy as a large 1/2 carat emerald ring (size 7) would.
Ha! Ha! All of you come home safely.
God bless the new Copeland family.
Love, Kathy

kyle and paula said...

Audrey, I want you to have some of these nuggets.....yes!. There is nothing like a trip to miky D's to make all things ok. We are counting the days till we can see you all Love, Kyle, Paula, Kent and Jack

Anonymous said...

Uncle Bodie and Aunt Lori - Congrats! I can't wait to meet this new addition to the family! She's precious as can be, and it sounds like she has a wonderful personality to go with that beautiful smile! Safe travels ... See you soon!

All of our love - XoXo -
Jessica and Monica

Anonymous said...

What wonderful stories, and special places you guys have visited. Audreys a doll, love the pictures. Can't wait...... Annie & Terry

Anonymous said...

Lori and Brad,
I have never been so happy for someone. It happened Lori!!!!