Monday, April 7, 2008

Dinner On The Pearl River




We have begun the arduous process of packing all of our belongings for the long journey home. We were already sad to leave here, but trying to pack three people and all of the treasures that we have acquired makes it that much tougher.

Tonight we took a dinner cruise on the Pearl River that runs through the center of Guangzhou. You can tell just from traveling around the city that there is a lot to see, but until you go right through the middle of it you have no idea what a sight it is to behold! The architecture itself is stunning, but when you add the light show that is built into most of the buildings and bridges, it is almost overwhelming. It's like Las Vegas on steroids. Because the Olympics are just a few months away, many of the buildings have adopted an Olympic theme, including the China Construction Bank building which is basically a giant billboard. It rotates from variations on the Beijing 2008 logo to all of the mascots--it is the building in the last photo. Many of them also have lasers and spotlights and other displays. While the food was less than stellar, anyone traveling to Guangzhou will not fully get to experience the city without doing this cruise. It's cheap too, only about $20 U.S. including dinner.

Audrey is slowly liking me more and more. She now lets me pick her up (though she usually thinks I am going to hand her to Lori), and this morning the two of us went without Lori to see the fish in the pond in the middle of the hotel. She also learned how to blow a kiss today. Though it's hard to tell, that's what she is doing in the picture of her. She still wants to be in close proximity to Mommy, but she keeps making progress. Hopefully by the time we get home none of you will get the cold-shoulder that I did.

Tomorrow is our last day here (and Lori's birthday). Though I can't explain to you how sad we are to leave here, we can't wait to come home and see all of you and start the normal routine of our lives together. Our consulate appointment is at 3pm tomorrow, and according to our guide Veronica all of the paperwork has been approved, so when we go through immigrations in Los Angeles on Wednesday afternoon Audrey will be a full-fledged American citizen.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so excited for you all and I can't wait to meet Audrey! Tell Lori that I said "Happy Birthday" and give Audrey a hug and kiss from her Aunt Aimee. Hopefully after you guys get home a get settled Keith and I will get to come for a visit. I sent a special package for Audrey it should be there when you get home.

Tell Lori that I want LOTS of pictures!

We love you guys,

Uncle Keith and Aunt Aimee

Anonymous said...

Lori, Brad and Audrey,

We have enjoyed you sharing your adventures and Audrey updates with us. She's really a cutie. Looking forward to seeing her in person. We are so happy for you and know you will enjoy every minute of being a family. Hope you have a safe and happy trip home to Oklahoma. Happy Birthday Lori! We will keep you in our prayers.

Dennis and Mary Pyle

Anonymous said...

Happy Happy Birthday Aunt Lori!!
How exciting is that to have a brithday in China? The roomates and I are still following your journey religiously, and they enjoy seeing all of baby's new pictures :)

Cousin Taylor

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Lori!!!!!!! What a cool b-day present to get Audrey's VISA and know that you are on the final stage. I hope you celebrated your b-day on China time and then celebrate again tomorrow on U.S. time:):) Glad things are improving for you Brad. Our agency told us that it takes a child as many monthes as they are old to made the adjustment and fully attach. So it would take 15 mos for Audrey to make the full adjusment and full attachments - so there will be lots 2 steps forward and 1 step back days - rejoice in the steps forward. We have loved traveling this journey with you.

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Lori! :) I read that you will be traveling through Los Angeles - if (and this is a big IF for you) - if you have a big chunk of time between your international flight and your flight to Oklahoma, then give me a call - 310.204.4920 Home or 310.801.5834 Cell and I would be more than happy to bring you anything you need - food, baby supplies - you name it. I don't live far from the airport - prob about 15 minutes without much traffic. This is only if you have a big layover - b/c you would need to exit security (and depending on the airline in Los Angeles - going back isn't usually that crazy). Or if you need to go to another terminal, I can also help with that as well. Just let me know. I'd love to see you - if not, I will see you in June. I'm here to help if you need it. :) My email is icicle74@hotmail.com in case you want to email a "list" of stuff or requests.

Peacefully,

Kelsey Pyle (Mary's daughter)

Crystal said...

Happy Birthday Lori!

Hey, can I start the line for the Omniplex? (Excuse me, the Oklahoma City Science Museum) Seriously, the big tree house and Space Ice Cream? And with my crew in tow, we can probably get a group discount!!

Crystal

Unknown said...

Happy 39th to Lori.......Audrey is gonna be a very busy little girl when she get's to Oklahoma and becomes a Sooner girl (sorry Lori could not resist)....

Prayers for a safe and quick return.......
Jeff

Anonymous said...

We cannot wait to meet her. She is so beautiful!!! If she decides to give us the cold shoulder, we'll happily accept. Oh - and Charlie loves older women so he has already gone shopping for a "little something" for his new girlfriend. Safe travels and much love!! (Happy Bday Lori! What an amazing present!)

- The Zeecks

Anonymous said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY LORI!!! I'm so glad you guys are having such a great time...ah yes, Magnum bars - they seem to be all over the world (Mexico, Europe, Asia) except for USA...
I have loved your post and have fllwed it everyday! I also saw Rachel's baby, Lily in your red couch photo - how cool!
Have a wonderful Birthday and a safe trip home!

And yes, I would've LOVED to travel with you ;)
Carmen Fitzpatrick
NEXT IN LINE FOR REFERRAL!

duncank said...

Happy birthday sister, I love you and am so happy that you and Brad have a baby. She is beautiful and we are thrilled to have been a part of the adventure. There are so many folks here in Bethel America following the progress of your adoption. I've been told several times that I must bring Audrey here so that my crew can meet her. I hope that you both continue to write your thoughts and adventures down. I know that there is a book in all this. Can't wait to see you.... my love sister Lisa

Anonymous said...

Honestly, I have tried to leave a message, but somthing is missing I guess..anyway I am trying again. Oh how we have loved every picture and every word about the Copelands "3" in China. I feel as if I were there..& I am in spirit. Lori you always love your birthday, may this truly be the best ever. Waiting 4 u all.Granny

kyle and paula said...

Lori-
I am writing this on 4-7-08 our time but in China it is now your birthday, so Happy Birthday!!!
What a truly cool birthday to spend it in China and to have your best friend and your child to spend it with, you know we are there in our hearts. We can't wait to see you all, most everyone we know has followed this journey along with us either by asking us or logging on and reading themselves, amazing the technology we have this day in age.
Audrey- very cool dress, one of my favorite patterns. I am blowing you kisses right now my little friend.
Brad-
what a cool moment to share with your daughter before you leave her native country. We are counting the hours until you all come home, love and miss you much!

Paula

kyle and paula said...

Lori, Happy birthday. It goes without saying this will be one you'll remember forever. I am so excited to see you all as soon as possible. Things will never be as they were, but how fantastic they will be from here on out. Love always and forever, Kyle

crys said...

happiest birtday, lori! the birthday fairy must've known exactly what you wanted :-)
take care!

Anonymous said...

Happy Late birthday Lori, what a wonderful gift God has given you, ( a new little family) Brad, we are so glad Audreys coming around to you, she will suprise you soon on how she love you too. Soon she will run to you (and you better get the tissues out).Annie