Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Final Thoughts On China




Brad:
I was wrong about almost every aspect of this trip. I thought the that I would never be able to find food that I would like and be comfortable eating, and I would probably lose weight from 2 and a half weeks of eating pretty much nothing but rice. The food has been tremendous and I have gained several pounds. I was upset that our entire trip would be spent in Guangzhou and we wouldn't be able to see any of the rest of China. Though I still wish we had been able to see Beijing, Guangzhou has been wonderful. I thought the people would be cold and distant, but for the most part they have been kind and welcoming. I thought that we would get a wonderful little girl who we would be glad to spend the rest of our lives with--OK, I said I was wrong about almost everything. 

I am shocked to feel the way I do about leaving here. On the one hand I am excited to see all of our friends and family and let them meet little Audrey, but on the other I don't remember ever being so sad to leave a place. The people that we have met here and the adventures that we have gone on are unlike any other I have ever known. I think part of my sadness is because of the difficulty of coming back. It is a long journey and you do have to jump through a few hoops to be able to visit a country like China, but because of our time here and what this city will always mean to us for being where we got our little girl, Guangzhou will always hold a special place in my heart.

Thanks to all of you for following along with us and giving us a taste of home during our extended stay away. We will be there before you know it.

Lori:
Well I can't believe that our long awaited trip to China is coming to an end.  Sweet little Audrey has been a trooper on every bus, cab and stroller ride--long or short, hot or rainy--I hope that is indicative of how she will endure the 24 hours plus it will take to get us from Guangzhou to Oklahoma City!  I may be the one kicking and screaming and she will probably be just fine.  
Well I have done a lot of great things over the years on my birthday and if you know me well you will also know how much I like my annual celebration.  However, finalizing an adoption half the world away to a precious little China baby tops the list of fun things.   Now we need just step onto the soil of America and she, too, will be privy to all the rights, responsibilities and restrictions as the rest of us--just like that.

The swearing in ceremony didn't have much WOW factor--kind of like your actual wedding vows--you know what they meant but forget exactly what was said.  The head of the American Consulate was very nice and has two adopted Chinese daughters himself.   We ended the day with one last sweep through Shamian Island, good byes to all our new Chinese friends and to the families we shared the last few weeks with and more photos.  We ate at Lucy's (an American Style eatery) and had birthday cake--or Fresh Cake as it is usually called.  I would hate to partake in the NOT fresh cake as the Fresh Cake is good, but no Leo's Strawberry-Banana cake.  I look forward to another celebration at home--perhaps with a little Ted's Escondido.   

Some of our new friends should be mentioned here:  from China there is Susan and Dong (they have a great shop and are very kind and will do anything to help you), Grace who has two precious kitties one with a pierced ear and she is so sweet to Audrey, and Chen who works here at the White Swan and never is without a smile and lovely laugh.   And of course Veronica--the very best guide we could have had--many thanks to her for making this whole trip a hundred times better.  To the 10 other families that we shared this trip with--thank you--we have enjoyed you and your children and will look forward to keeping up with you over the years.  Truitt and Stephanie and Scott and Gene we are practically neighbors so we hopefully will see you guys soon.

Most of all thank you to all our family and friends anxiously waiting back home who have religiously followed our story.  We love and appreciate you and thank you for your kind words and prayers and love--we have felt it every day.  We'll be there soon.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Brad, Lori, Audrey
Beautiful family photo.....

Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers......

Oklahoma is just on the horizon.....
Jeff

Anonymous said...

ALori,
Audrey looks so happy! My last post didn't show up so I'm trying again. You know what a computer whiz I am. Brad, that baby resembles you!! No kidding, same smile. Are you sure you weren't in China 15 months ago? Lori, what a birthday gift you have received from God in this beautiful baby. And what a life you and Brad are giving her, bringing her back to the great U.S.A. After all the family has seen her, and when you get a moment, please call me cause Liz and I can't wait to hug that bundle of joy! You know how baby starved I am.
Be safe and God bless you as you travel.
Love from Kathy and the Berend kids

Meredith said...

What an amazing journey you have experienced!! We hope you have a safe flight home and are so happy for you to be coming home with your beautiful daughter. We can't wait to meet her! I love the most recent picture of the three of you...what a beautiful family you are. See you soon!
xoxo,
Meredith, Drew & Madeline

duncank said...

I am thinking this surely will be the Christmas card photo of the year. It is absolutely amazing how you have been on my mind for days. I know that this travel experience may pose a few hurdles maybe a sucker like a tootsie pop will help, of course you get sticky. Have Audrey swallow often just a sip of juice of water will help too. Blessings and prayers, can't wait to celebrate your arrival. I was thinking of sneaking to the airport for the first Audrey sighting....anybody up for a run to the airport tonight? Aunt Lisa

kyle and paula said...

B,L,and A,
What seemed like an eternity to see the newest member of our family is finally coming closer and closer, you all make one beautiful family. Aunt Lisa I would love to make a sneak trip to the airport with you!!!! What a blessing family is, we love you guys! kyle,paula, kent and jack

Anonymous said...

Audrey, Mommy & Dad
Welcome to America Audrey. You are one God Blessed little girl. You have wonderful loving and caring parents, that love you very much. Your family picture is Gorges (it's a blow up) Brad. We can't wait to play. God Bless, love ya Annie

Anonymous said...

Lor and Brad: I am going to miss yr blog - I fllwd it everyday and enjoyed every minute of it - you guys are so much fun! I LOVED your letters to each other - what a way to end the blog :)
You will miss China everyday of yr life - we left 5 yrs ago with our precious Livvie and to this day, I still think of that wonderful trip - it is the trip that has changed yr life forever! Audrey is divine! Congratulations! Carmen Fitzpatrick (soon soon we get to go back to China!)